Monday, January 2, 2012

A Year in Review and a New Year Ahead

Yeah, I got lazy in December.  Actually, that's not true - I was so busy I got myself sick :-(  I'll get to that later though.
I love looking back at a year and seeing change and growth.  I feel like if you come out of a year different somehow, then the year was a success.  (I suppose there are some circumstances where this isn't true, but in general, change is good!)
So let's see - some highlights from 2011...
I FINALLY went to Ireland!!

One of my goals every year is to see more of the World.  2011 gets a big check mark.  If you can't tell, I loved Ireland, and I'm hoping to make it back this year.  I haven't planned what 2012's new place will be, but I'm sure I'll find somewhere new to visit.

I turned 31 last year.  I have to say - 30 was awesome!  31 is a little more scary.  The novelty of 30 wears off and you are stuck with being a 30 something.

My household increased by another Nicole :-)  This meant I finally had to clean out the extra room in my basement.  I also finally got a lot of house projects completed, that had been on my To-do list for way too long!

I had the busiest December of my life.  It started out with a spur of the moment work trip to Oregon.  We flew into Portland and drove out to Bend.  It was so incredibly beautiful.  This is a picture of Hood Mountain, which we passed through on our way East.

I spent one night at home and then went to my parents house for Army-Navy Weekend.

At this point I had started recovering from the cold I picked up on the flight out to Oregon, but little did I know, that was just the start of my problems.  As you can see from the photo above, my face was a big 'ole mess of cold sores.  Family time and the Army/Navy game was awesome though!  Navy won for the 10th consecutive year.  It was sooooooo cold out though!

We were finishing up our audit at work in December and stilling working on the ERP implementation, which meant work was busier than usual.  Christmas parties, football games (GO RAVENS!) and Christmas shopping dominated the month.  The cold sores started healing, but then one morning I woke up one morning with bug bite looking bumps all over my arms, legs and face.  (December was not an attractive month for me!)  Thank the Dear Lord Jesus, my doctor confirmed they were not any type of bug bite at all, but related to some sort of virus I apparently came down with from being so worn down.  Also thankfully, I had the last week of the year to sleep and chill out!

Christmas with my family was awesome!  Low key and quiet is the best description I can give you, but it's just what the doctor ordered!  I got my house clean for the first time in a while and started getting life organized again!

God taught me a lot about focusing on Him in the past year.  I learned so much about maintaining my trust in Him and the hope of the good things He has promised.  I see hope as a theme that will definitely sustain me this coming year as well.  I still have so much to learn!

One of my biggest accomplishments last year, I think, was losing 28 pounds (although the last day of the year may have put a pound or two back on!)  In September I joined Weight Watchers and it has been such a great experience.  I feel so good and am really thankful that I'm only a few pounds away from my goal weight!

We threw a New Years party at my friend's house again this year, and it was fantastic.  I seriously have the greatest friends!!

Wishing you all many blessings this year.  I can't wait to see where God takes us on this amazing journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment