Friday, January 27, 2012

I Wore My Pink Rainboots Today and Thoughts on Friendship

I was having a hard time picking one Proverb to focus on today in Chapter 27.  There are so many good ones. As I read over them again, I started to notice a trend - there are a lot of verses about friendship.  Then I began wondering, why does the Bible speak so much to friendship?  Why are there so many words of wisdom written on that topic?

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, 
   but an enemy multiplies kisses. v 6



Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, 
   and the pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel. v 9



Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, 
   and do not go to your brother’s house when disaster strikes you— 
   better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away. v 10



As iron sharpens iron, 
   so one man sharpens another. v 17



And those were just the ones I picked out of this particular chapter.  (There are some other really insightful Proverbs in this chapter that I might come back to next week!  Too much for this post.)


Anyway, we all know how I feel about my friends.  I love them like family and these verses totally apply to our relationships.  What's awesome to me is to think about how much God cares about friendships.  It's all over the Bible.  Jesus even calls us friends!  God designed us to live in community.  He cares about how the relationships within those communities function.  It amazes me that the God of the Universe cares about friendship enough to inspire words like above to be written.  It also convicts me to put the proper amount of attention and wisdom into my relationships.  Clearly, based on all the instruction we are given on how to NOT mess them up, they are easy to get wrong.  


I am certainly counting my blessings!


It's pouring in Baltimore today!  Cats and dogs I tell ya!  Thankfully I made a last minute wardrobe switch to these bad boys...





Hot pink polka dot rainboots are sure to brighten any rainy day!!
Have a great day and a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment