Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wisdom isn't inherent

This morning I was thinking and praying about how wisdom doesn't come naturally.  I think sometimes I feel like I just automatically make wise choices because of something inherent in me, however, Proverbs 4 made me think a little differently.
Solomon tells his son to "listen", "pay attention", "get wisdom", "get understanding", "listen", "hold on to instruction", and  "pay attention."...and that's just in chapter 4.  What struck me is that these are all actions.  If you want wisdom you have to be intentional about getting it.  It doesn't just show up.  You have to actively seek it out and hold onto it.  What are you doing today to get wisdom and hold onto it?
One of my favorite verses is in Proverbs 4.
Above all else, guard your heart, 
   for it is the wellspring of life. v. 23

And then in goes onto say in vs. 24-25
 Put away perversity from your mouth; 
   keep corrupt talk far from your lips. 

 Let your eyes look straight ahead, 
   fix your gaze directly before you. 


We all probably realize that speaking with grace and truth and keeping our eyes fixed on good things are wise, but how hard is that to do out of our own willpower?  For me, it's pretty much impossible, and soooo frustrating when I keep messing up.  I love how verse 23 is the key though.  Guard you heart - everything else flows from that.  By guarding your heart, you can train your lips to steer clear of gossip.  By guarding your heart, you can keep your eyes straight ahead.
Let's keep our hearts safe friends!!  I can't help but wonder what a difference that would make it my life!


I got these at work yesterday.  :-)  Just thought I'd share that!

No comments:

Post a Comment