Monday, January 30, 2012

Just Enough

Two things I ask of you, O LORD; 
   do not refuse me before I die: 
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
   give me neither poverty nor riches, 
   but give me only my daily bread. 
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you 
   and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ 
Or I may become poor and steal, 
   and so dishonor the name of my God. vs.7-9


Honestly, it's hard for me to ask this of God.  It's funny, because I don't really think I'm that selfish, but if I really contemplate what I ask God for, I realize I think I'm entitled to more than just my daily bread.  I've visited other countries where people don't have savings accounts and 401(k)'s.  In fact, they don't even have refrigerators, because they truly survive on just the food they can earn that day.  There is such a richness to their lives, because each and every day they are relying on God to meet their needs, and He is proving faithful.  


I notice an interesting parallel between this Proverb and how Jesus teaches us to pray "give us this day our daily bread."  Like the writer of this Proverb, Jesus knew that once we have more than our daily bread, our desire for even more continues to grow and grow.  There are times in my life when I have abundantly more than enough, and I notice that during these times I am much less likely to recognize my need for God.

The wisdom in this Proverb lies in the truth that it's all about God, not me.  The writer is more concerned with how his circumstance points to the Lord, rather than what his circumstances do for his situation in life.

Lord, please give me just what I need today, and help me to not desire more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment