Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thankful November

One year in college the girls in my small group decided to go on a complaining fast for the month of November.  What we found was that you don't realize how much you are complaining until you try to stop.  (Isn't that the case for so many things in life?) Philippians 2:14 says, "Do all things without complaining and grumbling".  All things being defined as ALL THINGS, like everything, even if it's something you don't like or really don't want to do.  Do you know how hard that is?

We quickly learned that in order to stay true to this fast, we needed to find something to replace the complaints.   With Thanksgiving just weeks away, the obvious choice was to replace complaining with its opposite - being thankful.

This morning on facebook I posted that I was looking for the blessing in today.  In response to that, my friend posted this quote - "Be on the lookout for mercies. The more we look for them, the more of them we will see. Blessings brighten when we count them." (M.D. Babcock).     I found this statement to so eloquently say what I was trying to express.  When you are looking for things to be thankful for, you will find them.  In the same way, when you are looking for things to complain about, you will find them.

I've heard some people call this month "no shave November."  I think I will try to go back to "no complain November."  Instead, I will attempt to share something I'm thankful for each day.  I've seen people do this as their facebook status in November and they are so great to read through.

So here goes (and this is in no particular order):
Halloween 2011
I couldn't find a good one of the 2 of us (this is Nicole with Audrey)
Today I'm thankful for having 2 amazing roommates (both named Nicole).  :-)  They are great friends and the best people to share life and my house with!  


An update on David - the little guy is still recovering.  Please keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment