Thursday, October 13, 2011

They're not gonna put me on TV

Yesterday I had my chance.  It was after a birthday lunch for a co-worker and I was on a mission to pick up her cake.  Then I saw it.  The camera man and the newscaster.  I was walking right towards them!!  I wondered what they were doing out there in the nasty weather.  I looked around to see if there was something newsworthy going on around us.  Absolutely nothing.  As I got closer, I could tell that I recognized the newscaster in his Channel 11 jacket!  It was Rob Roblin...the guy who they stick out in the middle of hurricanes and snow storms...up close and personal.  What was I missing?  Something had to be going on!! As my co-worker and I walked past him a nervous energy started to build.  Would he interview me about whatever was going on?  Would this be my big chance?
Rob Roblin did not disappoint.  We were close to passing him on the sidewalk when he stopped us and asked if we'd mind answering a question.  I thought my co-worker was going to keep walking, but I firmlyl planted my feet and said "sure!"  Then the fear set in.  What if it was a hard question about politics?  What if it was about something I'm not familiar with!  I started praying I wouldn't look stupid.  I listened to the question intently..."Maryland is going to start using a new area code - 667.  How do you feel about that?"  Huh?  Am I supposed to care?  And is Rob Roblin sort of chuckling??  Hmm... I don't know.  It was my moment to shine.  Would I come up with something witty and charming?  Would I spout out wisdom and knowledge?  I suddenly found myself blurting out phrases that revealed that despite the intelligent persona I may sometimes pull off, my head is full of nothing but air!!  I can't remember my exact words, but it went something to the tune of "Oh, I think it's ok.  All my numbers are in my cell phone anyway, so...you know...you don't have to like umm memorize anything new or anything."  And I think I kept going.  I was on a roll.  But wait, was inclement weather reporter man actually chuckling for sure now?  Yep, although it was more of an uncomfortable laugh.  I shut up.  He asks my co-worker what he thinks.  Very flippantly he answers "I don't really care.  I think it's great I guess."  I was giggling.  Rob was still uncomfortably silently laughing and it was over just like that.  He thanked us and we walked away.  Immediately we began discussing our TV debut.  When would it air?  Would they actually use us?  At this point I had realized I sounded vapid and silly and I knew I didn't even look cute!!  Was it even a serious segment?  Are people supposed to care about this issue?
Do you want to know what happened?
http://www.wbaltv.com/video/29465035/detail.html
Here's the video!  It was actually on TV.  Surprisingly, they didn't use my clip.  Haha, ok, I guess it's not really a surprise.  But Dustin's clip did air.  And you can hear my laughter in the background.  Watch around the 1:25 minute mark.  I think Dustin is the last interview.
I guess this is an example of the no news is good news saying.  And in the scheme of things, I'm pretty glad my amazing display of intellect was not broadcast for all to see.
Bullet = dodged!
So what do you think about the new area code in MD?
The real question I'm asking myself today though is, did this plate ruin all my hard work I've been putting in?
We shall find out tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment