Monday, April 27, 2015

...yet beauty remains

I haven't felt too inspired to blog lately, but today, as I was letting the darkness of my city's situation and all of the media hype overwhelm me, God gave me a little tap on the shoulder.  I thought I would share...

I've been glued to the news coverage of the riots in Baltimore - frustration, sadness, anger, annoyance, disbelief - all emotions running through me.  Lately, I've been catching myself saying "This world is becoming an ugly place.  What's going to happen next?"  Today I felt that gentle nudge that God gives you when He wakes you up from your self involvement.  As clear as day, I felt that still small voice tell me, "What's going to happen next?  Valerie, you already know how this ends.  Just a few weeks ago you celebrated it.  When Jesus overcame death, He overcame the world and the powers of darkness.  He proved that He is the only One with power in this world.  Don't forget this, He has already defeated the powers of Hell - now live like it!"

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

It's so easy to let the darkness overwhelm us, but we know that where there's light, darkness has to flee.  Light has power over darkness.  We see it in science; if you light a candle in a dark room, the light always overcomes the darkness.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" John 1:5

The images that we see on Facebook and TV are ugly.  But there is still so much beauty.  I've seen people posting beautiful prayers.  I've heard strangers on the light rail promote peace among one another.  I've seen true reconciliation.  Yet it's still much easier to focus on the ugly.  As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression,  I know this all too well.  When we focus on the good, though, the bad gets so much smaller.

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."  Philippians 4:8

So, how do we do this?  To me, the answer is clear - Love.  I won't quote Rob Bell and say "Love Wins" (because truthfully, I haven't read the book and don't want to get into a debate), but I do know that the Bible tells us this: Love never fails! (1 Corinthians 13:8)  The Light of the World lives in those who believe.  He certainly doesn't need us to be light, but He allows us that privilege.  Let's be light and show love together.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

How would things be different if I was more patient and kind; if I stopped envying others and put an end to my boastfulness and pride?  What if I honored others above myself and didn't get angry, but let things go?  Whould it promote change if I didn't buy into the media hype that "delights in evil" but remained constant in speaking truth?  Can I be more protecting of those more vulnerable, trusting, hopeful and persevering?  Want to try it with me?

1 comment:

  1. love this, val! while i've been encouraged talking to people and hear them express their hope, hear them express stories of goodness, i think it's so important to go climb a mountain and set our eyes on the higher truth that death is already defeated. thank you!

    ReplyDelete